Saturday, November 29, 2008

Man, I'm Really Worried About Kanye!!!

I just got done listening to Kanye's new record 808s & Heartbreak. And man, this dude is really depressed.


I mean, not only are his lyrics pretty depressing, but the album's musical backdrop really sounds like a mix between Portishead's record Dummy and Fiona Apple's first record (I can't recall the name of the album, but it's the one that made her real famous before she fell of the face of the earth.) And I know that that one dude John Byrant tried to help Kanye get his musical bars up a couple records back by having him "study" Dummy, but damn dude, you didn't have to have go all the way to the left with it.

But I think it's a pretty good record, despite it's dark undertones. You can really tell dude is trying to grow as an artist. I really liked "Paranoid" and "Street Light," not because I thought the songs were particularly good, but because you can tell that Kanye is really trying to challenge himself artistically. Gone are the days of the sped up soul sample, and the braggadocio rhyme patterns. Kanye is really trying to be Elvis. Hopefully, he won't go to such extremes to become king.

No comments: